Skip to Common Activities

Skip to Content

Traveling Out of State - How Much Can I Bring Back?

Importation of Alcoholic Beverages

A person traveling into Texas from another state or country can bring a maximum of:

  • 1 gallon of distilled spirits;
  • 3 gallons of wine; and
  • 24 twelve-ounce containers of beer


  • There are no substitutions between the types of alcoholic beverages.
  • The importation of alcoholic beverages must be for personal use.
  • Importations cannot occur more than once in a 30-day period.
  • The person making the importation must accompany the alcoholic beverages.
  • Minors (persons under 21 years of age) or intoxicated persons may not bring alcoholic beverages into Texas.
  • All alcoholic beverage containers imported into Texas are subject to the state liquor tax and a $3.00 administrative fee. This fee is included in the posted tax rates.
  • Payment of the fees and taxes are documented by a tax stamp placed on the bottle.
  • Please note that failure to pay the tax and obtain the appropriate stamp will subject violators to a fine ranging from $100 to $1,000 and/or a jail term of up to one year.

Importation of Cigarettes

TABC Ports of Entry personnel are also responsible for ensuring that the laws relating to cigarettes are observed.

  • Persons 18 years of age or older may import both Mexican and duty-free cigarettes.
  • A tax of $1.50 is due on each pack of cigarettes imported into the state, and a stamp is placed on each cigarette pack to indicate payment of the tax.
  • The first carton of cigarettes has no importation restrictions with regard to labeling.
  • Additional cartons are subject to U.S. Customs labeling laws. They cannot have "For Use Outside U.S." or "U.S. Tax Exempt" or any such wording on them.